The Director of Marketing & Communications oversees and implements marketing and communications for Mountain Shadows. This position reports directly to the Head of School and works with teachers/staff, parents, and at times the Board of Directors. Ideal candidate is goal and purpose oriented and as such understands that priorities and activities may shift in support of the school’s mission.
Promote Montessori principles and practices through education of parents and school community. Coordinate internal and external school communication. Work closely with Head of School to ensure all activities support furthering MSMS’ mission. Works closely with Office Manager and teachers to ensure coordinated communications with families.
- Reviewing and improving marketing/communications strategies for effectiveness.
- Promoting and increasing the regional community’s awareness of Mountain Shadows Montessori School.
- Producing and distributing the weekly email newsletter and monthly print newsletter.
- Overseeing all external publications for the school emphasizing uniformity in content and appearance.
- Creating a yearly overall theme for all published pieces.
- Editing and writing articles on Montessori education.
- Creating a MSMS publication standards user manual.
- Producing various school documents including a promotional brochure for admissions, an annual alumni news publication, the annual report, as well as forms such as conference reports, admission applications, etc.
- Supporting production of various school documents including parent handbook, school calendar (in print and online), special publications (booklets, timelines, signage, etc.), and forms (conference reports, school application, etc.) as needed.
- Updating and maintaining content on the school’s website.
- Creating and implementing social media strategy.
- Developing and implementing an advertising strategy.
- Writing and submitting press releases for topics warranting public awareness.
- Serving as the public relations spokesperson for the school when needed.
- Supporting community building events when needed.
- Promoting parent education events.
- Designing invitations and related materials for some school events.
- Regularly taking and organizing digital photographs of school events (during and after school hours) and general life at the school for use in the newsletter, yearbook, website, and other publications.
- Attending weekly teacher meetings.
- Work on special projects as needed.
- Create programs to welcome and integrate new families into the life of the school.
- Helping relieve at front desk, drop-off/pick-up, and generally help daily life at school when needed..
- Developing and maintaining development and alumni databases in concert with Office Manager.
- Maintaining contact with alumni.
- Reporting alumni success stories in the newsletter and on the school website.
- Reporting middle school, high school and college matriculation.
- Organizing alumni gatherings.
- Representing school to other organizations.
- Supporting Head of School in admissions and fund development in selected areas, such as producing Annual Report.
- Working with Office Manager to develop tracking system for sources of admissions inquiries
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Excellent communications, interpersonal, and social skills. Advocates school knowledgeably and enthusiastically. Comfortable working around and with children and interacting with parents, faculty, and education professionals. Proactive, self-starter, creative, strong attention to detail. Strong computer skills. Advocates school knowledgeably and enthusiastically. Happy, growth-oriented professional.
Education and Experience
BA in liberal arts, marketing, public relations, communications, or other required. Experienced with desktop publishing desirable. Website experience required. Montessori background a plus.
- A skillful writer and an effective speaker to groups and one-on-one
- An outgoing “people person” with high EQ
- Attentive to detail: able to manage data, records, and administrative procedure and process
- Well developed computer skills
- A self-starter: a highly motivated, self-directed and a team player
- A good understanding of child development and parenting issues desirable
- The ability to serve as an articulate spokesperson for Mountain Shadows Montessori School and for Montessori education in general
- Respects confidentiality
About Mountain Shadows Montessori School
Mountain Shadows Montessori School is a close-knit community and as such applicants interested in this position must desire to develop close relationships with our families and staff. There are evening and weekend hours for board meetings, school social events, and other responsibilities. This is a director level position, that also requires the individual to roll up his or her sleeves to do what it takes to get the job done, and help out in areas outside of the position’s responsibilities, as needed. This opportunity is much more than a marketing/communications position, it is a lifestyle.
Mountain Shadows Montessori School is located on a beautiful 12-acre rural campus in the heart of Boulder, Colorado. Child-focused, we are a trusted leader in the highest quality Montessori education in the State. An Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) Consultant serves as a permanent member of the school’s board of directors. The region offers an unparalleled lifestyle with year round outdoor activities in the beautiful Rocky Mountains and outstanding cultural opportunities in nearby Denver.
Interested applicants may send a letter of interest and resume c/o:
Tom Ferland, Recruiter
Application review will begin on May 15 and will continue until position is filled.