Mountain Shadows parents, teachers, and staff members left the annual State of the School Address on Jan. 19 with a renewed sense of optimism, as the MSMS Board of Directors shared candid updates on the school’s financial health and fundraising efforts, Head of School search, outdoor environment design plans, and more.
The 2016-17 MSMS Board of Directors
The MSMS Board governs the school with four directors and is in the process of vetting two additional members from both the current parent and greater Boulder business communities.
- Polly Buster (P ’01, ’06) President and Finance Committee Chair
- Scott Dooley (P ‘14) Secretary
- Paul Algreen (P ’15) Development Committee Chair
- Bruno Cipriani (P ’20) Facilities Committee Chair
- Terri Allen, AMI Consultant/Interim Head of School (non-voting in 2016-17)
- Beth Grindel (P ‘18, ‘22), Director of Operations/CFO (Ex-Officio)
- The School’s balance sheet is healthy with $662,937 in current assets and reserves
- The 2015-16 operating budget was $1,183,001 (75% of which was salaries and benefits)
- The goal continues to be to return to being 100% tuition-funded operationally. We are currently at approximately 90% of that goal.
- This year’s Annual Fund goal is $50,000 and 100% parent participation.
- Colorado Gives Day continues to give the Annual Fund Campaign additional exposure, as does the Spring Gala (Saturday, April 29- Save the Date!)
Board Project Updates
In addition to Board expansion and middle school exploration, the Board demonstrated great optimism in the following areas:
- Head of School search: The committee will start phone interviews with prospective candidates the week of Jan. 23.
- Long-term facilities vision:
- Adding natural shade and redesign to the sand play area
- Phase I: plant shade trees and add concrete edging to the area expected to begin inthe spring
Strategic Plan Update
In November 2015, the Board developed a five-year strategic plan with the following key goals:
- Improve physical space. Immediate: add shade and upgrade play equipment; facelift for lobby area
- Completed- front entryway improvements, natural shade addition underway
- Continue to increase enrollment.
- Completed- launch of mobile friendly website
- Improve school governance. Implement Board reforms and policies to be in line with industry standards.
- Completed- established Head of School and Governance committees, added new Board members
- Continue to support teachers and staff. Ensure that our teachers have the training, continuing education, and support they need.
- Strategic financial plan to pursue goals in responsible way.
2017-18 Tuition and Re-Enrollment
Next year’s tuition increase is 5.5 percent
- Less than 2016-17 MSMS tuition increase
- Contracts to be distributed on January 26.
- Due March 1.
New for 2017-18
- Automatic enrollment contract renewal
- New Family Referral Incentive (for one year): information to be distributed this week